Monday, July 26, 2010

Interesting

I read the following on a prayer site I use ...

sacredspace.ie

What did Jesus mean when he urged self-denial? ‘Deny yourself and take up your cross daily.’ I used to think this meant looking for mortifications. Lord, you have taught me that my cross is myself, my ego, the pains in my body, my awkwardness, my mistakes. Hopkins put it starkly: I am gall, I am heartburn. God’s most deep decree Bitter would have me taste; my taste was me. To follow you is to move beyond ego-trips. It means coping with the business of life without trampling on others or making them suffer. There is a world here to be explored. To deny myself – to reach a point where my self is no longer the most important thing in the world; to be able to take a back seat comfortably; to be happy to listen; to accept without resentment the diminishments that come to me through time or circumstances; to see your hand, Lord, in both the bright and dark places of my life.

I was really struck especially by the last 2 sentiments. ..

It is a challenge to accept without resentment the diminishments that come to me through time or circumstances....


1 comment:

  1. Hopkins is a good example of someone who wrestled with his inner demons.

    Bearing our crosses is difficult. Goes with the territory I guess. You're right that the last two sentiments may be the key to doing this.

    Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete