Thursday, July 21, 2011

Mercy

"Sambatra ny miantra, fa izy no hiantrana..." Matthew 5...

 "Blessed are the merciful for they will be shown mercy..."

When my father was dying of cancer and was deteriorating... I sat on his bed with him and said, we will ask God to be merciful...  He said, "God is always merciful".  That conversation has stuck with me.

 I am due to move in 3 weeks, and the place I was moving to has fallen through... so I don't know where I will be going.  It has been a rollercoaster ride the past few days (I found out on Monday late afternoon).

 What does it mean to be shown mercy?  It is getting something good that I don't deserve...  I believe that God's mercy is showered on all people and I don't know why some live in wars, famine, and devastation...

 Somehow we are agents of God's mercy too - as we advocate for peace and justice, and care for people and our world... my friends have been agents of God's mercy to me over the past couple of days, as they have supported me emotionally and practically...

 And it doesn't mean that I feel good, relaxed, or at peace....

 To learn to receive... to say the eternal "Yes" to life, whatever it may bring is the challenge facing me today...

No comments:

Post a Comment