Sunday, July 18, 2010

Communication

We have landline phone, mobile phone, text messages, Email, Facebook, Twitter, On line forums.... I didn't have any of these things in my youth... Does it mean we communicate better now than we did then?

I noticed an interesting phenomona on Facebook this week... There were two status updates that mentioned snot... and they each receive about 15 comments. Then there were a couple other status updates talking about someone's difficulties - one with 3 boys under 4 who are very sick - and they merit 3 to 4 comments.

Do we not read the 'difficult' ones? Do we think that nothing we can say will make any difference? Is it because our humour isn't tweaked?

I am learning that I can't expect comfort from the internet, even though I'm on a depression support forum ... I have asked myself if it is because I write too cryptically when I am not feeling good - whether it is my fault, because I don't know how to express my need for support and comfort - or is it that we are overloaded with information about people that we miss seeing the people themselves?

People talk about a global community now - I think I liked a village one better. When everyone met at the water pump or well and exchanged news, (and gossip) as they waited for their turn to draw water. I think I liked it better when people noticed if someone didn't come out of their house in the morning and went and knocked on their door. I think I liked it better when everyone knew if someone was sad ... they mightn't all have been sympathetic, but I'm sure there were some who were. When there was appropriate rituals and words around grieving and time and support given for the process.

I was trying to explain to a Malagasy man one day (as I waited for my take away order of chips) that life wasn't necessarily better in Australia. I tried to tell him that loneliness is endemic and people don't know what it is like to be in community. He couldn't understand. He just assumed that having enough money would make everything alright.

The global community doesn't seem to be working for me...

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry you feel that way. Unfortunately I don't think a group of people going through similar situations are able to provide help, as much as they can give a listening ear, offer a prayer, or possibly give suggestions that may have helped them. There is no quick fix to something that has taken many years to manifest itself.

    Life is a struggle, but there is Hope! Hang in there girl!

    ReplyDelete