Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Rules, rules and more rules

How do we know when a rule is helpful and when one is unhelpful. It seems I have a lot of internal rules - that have been laid down by 'others' and that most of them are pretty unhelpful to me now. It is really hard to identify them.

I know that helpful rules are road rules and society rules about not stealing or killing people - but what about not using the 'trolley and pram' larger toilet at a shopping centre? - Or the disability toilet (or change room) at other venues - even like at the swimming pool. How much does what I need/want matter?

Some people don't care - they just do whatever they want to do, and never think twice about it. If they are challenged they respond, often in anger... I certainly don't want to do that, although it would help me to feel my anger more often.

And then there are things that are part of my goals - like getting to the gym 3 mornings a week - Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Today I have the opportunity to go and stay with a friend on the other side of town tonight and it is Tuesday night - so it means I can't get to the gym tomorrow morning. How much does that matter? I find it very hard to get there later in the day.... but I guess tomorrow could be a first for that. Do I go and see my friend, or do I stay so I can go to the gym??? It seems so silly when written like that... Flexibility in goals and plans is a good thing.... I think!!

Mmmmmm .... I think I would like to go and see my friend.

2 comments:

  1. Don't worry about the gym. It's not going anywhere. Enjoy the company of your friend.

    You're right about flexibility. Don't build cages for yourself.

    (((Hope)))

    ReplyDelete